Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Freezer Meal Recipe: Deliciously Simple Homemade Spaghetti Sauce



Freezer meals have been a life saver for me over the last few years, especially since having kids. I don't know if you are anything like me, but most days the laundry is piling up, I've washed the same load three times, the house is a mess, the kids are bouncing off the walls, I'm still in my pajamas, and I haven't figured out what's for dinner much less set anything out to defrost. UGH!!!


Well, enter the freezer meal saving the dinner dilemma of the day. (As a little side note be sure to check back later this week as I will share with you the simple way that I meal plan.)

So the recipe I have for you today is "Deliciously Simple Homemade Spaghetti Sauce". It is based off a recipe shared with me by an old friend, Chaeli Ackerman, years ago that I have tweeked over time. One of the great things is that it is also gluten free, so you can make it with gluten free pasta, spaghetti squash, in a lasagna recipe, or with whatever pasta you fancy. I also use this sauce when I make homemade pizza rolls (I promise I will share that recipe soon). It is so delicious to dip the pizza rolls into. I probably make a batch of this sauce every 2-3 months. It's a huge hit with everyone in my family.  

The recipe I am sharing is for a single batch but I highly recommend making a double or triple batch, that way you will have plenty to freeze. I usually make a triple batch in my 8qt stock pot or I'll sometimes make a double batch in my 6qt crockpot. For today though I made a double batch in my 8qt pot. 

So without further ado here it is:

Deliciously Simple Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Recipe:
(Single Batch) 
Apprx 10-12 servings

Ingredients:
1 LB pound ground beef ($3.50) 
1/2 cup minced onion ($0.34) I use a yellow onion that I mince in my food processor.
1 tsp minced garlic. I use garlic from the jar.
1 (28 ounce) can crushed peeled tomatoes ($1.00)
1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste ($0.99)
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce ($0.59)
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper 

Approximate cost per batch based on Kroger pricing ($6.00 or $.50-$0.60 per serving)

Also be sure to grab freezer bags at the store. I use quart size for my family of 4. If you have a larger family you can use two quart size freezer bags or one gallon size freezer bag. It is up to you.  

Extras I like to add, but not at all necessary:
- Fresh Rosemary from my garden (Thank you Noel and Brent for that special gift in my backyard.)
- 3 drops of each essential oil, oregano, rosemary, and marjoram. (If I had basil oil I would add that as well.)
- 1 cup of baby carrots diced in my food processor. You can also add mushrooms or other vegetables as well. 
- I also add additional seasonings (salt, pepper, italian seasoning, and garlic powder) about half way through the cooking process if I want to bolster the flavor more. 

Directions for stovetop:
In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, cook beef, onion, and garlic until well browned; drain fat. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Mix in sugar and season with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Add more seasoning according to your own taste Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. 

Directions for Crockpot:
(A double batch will fit in a 6qt crockpot)
In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, cook beef, onion, and garlic until well browned; drain fat. Add meat to crockpot and stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Mix in sugar and season Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. 

How to freeze:
- Pull out a few freezer bag and lable the with the contents and date (month and year). 
- I use my ladle and do one scoop per serving plus one. ( The plus one or two depends on if your family likes their pasta with lots of sauce. My family happens to like a lot of sauce so I add  a bit extra to each bag.)
- Try and get as much air out as possible and the seal closed. 
- I place my bags into the refrigerator for 1-2 days to allow the flavors more time to fuse together. 
- Place into the freezer until ready to use. 

The double batch made 4 qt size bags of sauce for meals that I will pair with pasta and 2qt size bags of sauce that I will pair with pepperoni rolls. 

Visit the facebook page where you can find a video of how I bag and freeze the sauce.  













No comments:

Post a Comment